The National Border Patrol Council (NBPC) is the exclusive representative of approximately 18,000 Border Patrol Agents and support personnel assigned to the U.S. Border Patrol. The U.S. Border Patrol falls under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Under DHS, the Border Patrol is under the direction of Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
The NBPC Executive Committee is comprised of eleven committee members, all current or retired employees of the U.S. Border Patrol. All Committee members are elected to positions by delegates at a NBPC national convention. Executive Committee members spend a majority of their personal time representing and assisting members, and taking care of the administrative matters for the NBPC. The NBPC and all of our members are proudly protected under the PORAC Legal Defense Fund.
Although union membership is not mandatory, the NBPC maintains a 75% membership rate among eligible Border Patrol Agents, offering a testament to the level of service provided to members. Some of the services we provide are as follows:
- Access to the Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC) Legal Defense Fund (LDF);
- Legal Service Plan, separate from PORAC LDF, to cover major “within course and scope of employment” administrative actions;
- Representation for workplace issues;
- An extensive Health and Safety program;
- Assistance with OWCP related claims;
- Expert advice pertaining to EEO;
- National lobbying efforts; and
- Access to defined group benefits at significant discounts;
NOTE: The NBPC is restricted by federal regulations from making political contributions to political parties or candidates.