Click on a question to view the answer. If you have a question that does not appear below, please contact a local officer or representative for local issues or complete the member inquiry form for national matters.

Union members should immediately call PORAC (the Police Officers Research Association of California) Legal Defense Fund (LDF) at 1-800-255-5610. 

NOTE: Membership will be verified by PORAC LDF based on the date of the incident. A member added after the date of the incident will be considered ineligible for coverage by PORAC LDF. The incident must qualify for the course and scope of employment standard as determined by PORAC LDF. 

The Police Officers Research of California (PORAC), Legal Defense Fund (LDF) is one of the many benefits of being a member of the National Border Patrol Council. Visit the PORAC LDF website and learn more about this valuable legal defense fund that is only available to dues-paying members. NBPC members fall under Plan II.

Union members should immediately contact a Local representative for assistance. As an employee, you only have ten days to respond to a proposal for discipline so do not delay or you risk losing your opportunity to respond.

Immediately contact a local representative at your duty location. You have 30 days from the date the incident/violation occurred, or the employee became aware of the incident to file a grievance. 

Contact a local union representative for assistance. In many instances, locals have one or more representatives who specialize in OWCP cases and will be able to provide assistance as needed. In the event you end up on extended leave without absence, your dues will no longer be deducted, and your union membership will cease after three pay periods if dues are not received. You are responsible for contacting your local treasurer to find out what you need to do to maintain your membership and remain a member in good standing for PORAC LDF coverage or to participate with elections.

Each member is responsible for updating their physical mailing address in order to receive important information from the union, including election notices and ballots for your local elections. If your physical mailing address is not updated with AFGE, the local will have no way of to send you the information.

Update your mailing address – National Border Patrol Council (bpunion.org)

The NBPC and its locals require volunteers to administer the daily business, represent employees, respond to agency correspondence, etc. Without those volunteers, it would just become a bank account.

The union is only as strong as the members.  If every member recognized the importance of actively participating in their Union, then members would be better educated and more likely to prevent many of the unsafe working conditions that we face on a daily basis.  Being an active participant no longer means attending the monthly Union meetings.  The NBPC and its Locals have gone to great lengths to make information available to every member and to make it easier than ever before to contact a national or local officer and representative. There are some issues that cannot be discussed in public forums, but members are free to contact NBPC committee members or Local officers at any time to discuss an issue or ask questions.

The National Border Patrol Council holds a convention every three years. In between conventions, the NBPC holds a business meeting.

Locals hold meetings at different times of the year depending on the local. Check with your local for info on meetings.

The NBPC seeks input from the elected leadership from the NBPC locals.

Locals seek input from certified union representatives, who seek input from members at their respective duty locations.

Only to the minimum extent required by law, where the NBPC is designated as the exclusive representative.

No, but the NBPC may be able to provide attorney referrals.

You may obtain access to a significant level of union benefits through AFGE and AFL/CIO:

AFL/CIO benefits

AFGE benefits

NO!  AFL/CIO, AFGE, NBPC, and your local are prohibited by federal law from using dues for political contributions.

AFGE and AFL-CIO do make political contributions from Political Action Committees that use VOLUNTARY contributions provided by members.  

In other words, do not believe the fictitious rumors that the Union is using your dues to contribute to political campaigns because Federal Law prohibits it!  

A transfer to a different sector may mean your covered by a different local if that sector is handled by a different local. In that case, you should complete the transfer form and hand-deliver or email it to the local treasurer.

Per Article 13 D (5)(d) of the CBA:

The Union will provide the designated official of the Agency with written notification concerning the name of any employee on dues check off who transfers from one Local to another and any change in the amount to be deducted, when the Union becomes aware of an employee transferring to a different Local.

Requests by an employee on behalf of other employees will not be granted.

The agency does not notify the union when an employee promotes to a non-bargaining unit position or transfers to another position in CBP not covered by the NBPC. For this reason, the employee and HRMO are responsible for making sure the dues allotment is terminated when an employee is no longer in a bargaining unit position covered by the NBPC. 

If your dues were not terminated after properly submitting an 1188 or after transferring to a non-bargaining unit position, contact a mission support specialist for assistance. The NBPC does not provide refunds in these instances. 

The National Border Patrol Council is part of AFGE, and AFGE is affiliated with AFL-CIO. If we were to attempt to sever the affiliation or even discuss it, the NBPC would lose its assets, third-party legal insurance, exclusive representative status, and be placed into trusteeship. AFGE national representatives (non-BP) would assume control of your union and your representation.  The AFL-CIO per capita is paid for by AFGE and as of 2019, amounted to $0.65 per month per member.

Although NBPC is opposed to the shameless promotion of illegal aliens by AFGE and AFL-CIO, the NBPC must work through internal measures to change the position of AFGE and AFL-CIO or risk jeopardizing our status (as explained above).  In order for change to occur, the NBPC must convince the various Councils within AFGE and other Unions affiliated with AFL-CIO to oppose efforts that promote illegal immigration.

The NBPC has historically recommended agents supplement Union membership with professional liability insurance to provide an extra layer of protection for civil matters.  Currently AFGE offers professional liability insurance which is comparable to other available options. 

The Federal Law Enforcement Officer Association (FLEOA) is designed for federal law enforcement officers who have no collective bargaining rights and are not covered by an exclusive representative like the NBPC.  FLEOA is a great option if you are in a non-bargaining unit position. They do a tremendous job of representing the interests of criminal investigators. However, without recognition as the exclusive representative, Agencies are under no obligation to negotiate with or work with FLEOA.

NBPC officers and representatives frequently hear members mistakenly state that FLEOA offers the same coverage as the NBPC for less money.  Although it is true FLEOA does cost less than being a member of the NBPC, the coverage is significantly different. While there are many differences, the most important one refers to how FLEOA handles critical incidents. FLEOA may approve an attorney for course and scope incidents, however, the attorneys do not respond on scene like the attorneys provided by the PORAC. LDF and NBPC LSP.